I won't lie by saying that I understand the plight of the poor and helpless and what they faced in the massive super cyclone that was Amphan. When it roared past West Bengal, and parts of Orissa in India it reduced everything on it's path to ruins and brought life to a standstill even till several days later, also in the metropolitan city of Kolkata. So I can't falsely claim I feel them and can imagine their loss as life will never be the same for the people who feel abandoned amidst ruins and are still helpless. Some lost everything they possibly could ever own or have. There is nothing left of Sundarbans. But I can claim one thing with certainty. This massive storm taught me quite a few things. Let's see if you do find it useful.
Before the lockdown even began I visited my college last on 18th March for some work which I had there. There is this massive tree [inset below is a screenshot of my Instagram story as I don't have the original picture; it's the golden leafed tree] in the train station just by a garden which bears bright orange flowers in spring, shimul tulo flowers. On my way I saw so many fresh bright flowers dotted on the ground. I thought let me collect some as I'm a typical nature lover but I was in a hurry. I would have gotten real late as always so I dropped the idea. It was overall a great day, day well spent. While returning I decided I'll collect some this time. But I was too tired and lazy so I ditched the idea and instead went the other way around to take a rickshaw instead of walking back home. I thought I'll get another chance there's still time.
![]() |
| [The golden leafed tree is the mentioned tree.] |
Today I was very sad to hear that the whole area was massacred mercilessly by the destructive super cyclone Amphan. None of what you see in the given picture remained the same. Trees uprooted, broke apart. Everything badly destroyed. I didn't get a chance to go out and see for real nor do I want to, I'm hearbroken. Most probably it didn't survive so I won't ever have the chance to see it or collect it's flowers. Not only that all the places with which I had memories and attachments lies in ruins. So call me selfish that I'm whinning about memories while people died and faced infact facing worse situation but this is life, very uncertain and unpredictable.
Don't make this shallow by thinking it's about flowers and trees; there is this huge takeaway from it that no matter what, we never have enough time or energy or patience. And we never know if tomorrow we ever will. So better go that extra mile today. Passionate about something do it, feel something say it, want something work hard, want to travel start saving. As life is too short and worrisome to add guilt and repentance to it especially during middle age. So go for it and invest bit of time and effort into something you love other than your duties. Analyse, strategize, implement; do what needs to be done, explore out of that box.
Also, humans are social creatures. No matter how much we pour over devices or gadgets or even books at the end of the day we all look up to others. When the electricity went out for a day, in that time of hardships some were running errands for others. Everyone was in their rooftops interacting about life and more. Everything somehow seemed more organic and close to nature as the sounds of crickets and frogs were suddenly more evident, even stars more bright. After this storm even if for a while people were there for people and by people. Helping them, consoling them, saving them and supporting them. I realized humanity isn't missing or extinct as of yet, it's buried somewhere in our busy lives.
I don't know how much you all will agree or if at all, I suppose parts of it are pretty boring no comic relief and very serious overall but I had to get these few things across because it's better to learn from mistakes and accordingly make necessary changes or amends. Remember it's never too late to start something we love and yes life doesn't always give several chances. Will eagerly wait for feedback!!


The positivity in your blog is outstanding!!! Would like to see many more like this...keep it up ππ
ReplyDeleteWow, thank you so much...I love to create such content...π
ReplyDeleteCame across through your Twitterπ , truly well described! Interested and looking forward to your others blogs.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot!! In a bit of a mess, will publish something new real soon...π
DeleteWhen I do, will tweet about it. Do stick around!! π